Friday, November 26, 2010

Harper December Blog

Hey Everyone,

I hope all my friends in the USA and Canada had a Happy Thanksgiving. Wow this year has really flown by with tremendous speed. It has been a turbulent year for my band and I with some huge highs and some very deep lows. The release of my new CD "Stand Together" in May was a huge high. The number of excellent reviews gave me a true sense of accomplishment. Getting to number 10 on Billboard and number 2 on XM/ Sirius Bluesville was another achievement. Another huge high was working with the amazing special needs kids at The Buckingham Center For Exceptional Students in Fort Myers, Florida, the Williams Syndrome kids at the Williams Syndrome Camp in Grand Rapids, Michigan and the inner city kids of The Detroit Merit Academy. To help others through my music is a true blessing. I feel very fortunate to have been given this opportunity.

Of the lows would be the major accident we had in North Carolina in May. But this was not to be a one off event. I have to say that my wife Bobbi and I are very lucky to be alive. On early Sunday morning (November 21) after a fantastic show at Billy's Lounge in Grand Rapids, Michigan we were hit from behind with huge force by an SUV on our way home. Our Dodge Sprinter was catapulted through the air which caused the Sprinter to flip on to its passenger side. Bobbi and I were suspended in mid air, held securely by our seat belts. Thankfully no major injuries- just a little bruised and battered. The whole side of the passenger side was nothing but a twisted metal mess. The front window and all the passenger side windows were shattered. The frame was twisted and the back doors demolished. It truly is miraculous that Bobbi and I only have some bruises to show for our ordeal. Thankfully the driver of the other car and his passengers were also OK. A good Samaritan with powerful arms pulled both Bobbi and I out of the wreck. The rest of the band had driven to the gig in their own cars- which was also a true blessing. My didgeridoos didn't even get a scratch, my amp, my harps- all were OK. On a sad note- our Dodge Sprinter- named Sylvia is no more- she was totaled by our insurance company State Farm- who I would have to say were very helpful and supportive. Marc our drummer came and picked us up at the scene of the accident and even gave us a bed for the night. We were very lucky.

So as we enter this Holiday season, I would like to suggest that we all look over our lives and count our blessings. Material things can always be replaced, but a loved one can't. Think of those less fortunate than yourself and if you can, try to do something for others. It doesn't have to be big- helping someone with their groceries, or opening a door for a stranger, helping out at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter. Or as in our case- a perfect stranger pulling us out of our wreck of a Sprinter van. Every little bit makes this planet a much better place. Giving is the greatest gift of all. I can certainly testify to that.

Thank you all for your continued support. Have an amazing Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa, Happy Holidays to all. May 2011 be a year full of joy, prosperity and inspiration.

See you out on the road,

Peace,

Harper & Midwest Kind

www.harper.biz (Official Harper Website) CDs, E Book & T Shirt orders
www.myspace.com/harperband
www.youtube.com/harperband (for live video clips)
www.facebook.com/harperandmidwestkind (just for chatting)
www.blindpigrecords.com (for CD orders & downloads)

No comments:

Post a Comment